KKV’s success depends upon our ability to maintain deep roots in Kalihi Valley. We know that this community is rich with cultural knowledge, wisdom, and diverse talents, and we aim to uplift these gifts through our hiring practices. As a result, many of our employees and volunteers come directly from the community we serve. KKV is an equal opportunity employer.
Tobacco Control Program Coordinator
Looking for a Coordinator position for Tobacco Control program at a Community Health Center serving an ethnically diverse multicultural populations in Kalihi. Responsible for the development, implementation, monitoring and oversight of tobacco cessation and prevention programs. Provide individual and group tobacco cessation counseling and community outreach and education. Tobacco Cessation Counseling Training will be provided as part of job training.
Bachelor’s degree in Health or Social Science, required. Master’s in Public Health (MPH) or Social Work (MSW) or Health Sciences preferred. Working experience in health field preferred.
ROOTs Cafe is located in our Wellness Center and is part of our Returning to our ROOTs program here at KKV. This program believes in supporting connections to food that bring about good health. This includes gardening, sharing of produce, sharing recipes, sharing food, enjoying meals together, cooking and eating like our kupuna, taking care of our `åina and taking care of each other. ROOTs Cafe strives to serve delicious, wholesome foods to our staff, community and guests that nurture our physical and spiritual health.
We would like applicants to have a:
- Passion for local, organic and fresh foods
- Culinary background
- Working knowledge of a commercial food operation
- Foundational knowledge of ethnic and cultural foods of Hawaii
- Responsible and caring attitude
- Genuine desire to be a part of the Kalihi Valley Community
Please submit a resume and short paragraph about yourself and your cooking philosophy.
Part time (19 hr week) needed to assist with keeping Kokua Kalihi Valley (KKV) health center locations in good working order by performing a variety of carpentry, basic electrical, painting, plastering, basic plumbing and other mechanical repair work. Maintain KKV small outdoor landscape by cutting grass, trimming hedges and plants, water, fertilize and repair sprinkler. Must have experience in landscaping, basic plumbing skills, basic carpentry skills and painting experience.
Position is part time (19 hrs week) with no benefits. Working hours vary and must be able to work some evenings and weekends as scheduled.
Must be a high school graduate and have a current State of Hawaii Driver’s License and acceptable driving abstract.
DENTAL HYGIENIST (FT)
Responsible for providing dental hygiene patient care and managing the school based dental sealant program under the direction of staff dentists.
- Skills / Knowledge – Required: Effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to work with multi-cultural staff and client populations; Strong facilitation, management, and problem-solving skills; Organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Education / Training – Required: Graduated from an accredited dental
hygiene school; Licensed in the State of Hawaii as a Dental Hygienist
or eligible to receive licensure; Computer literate with proficiency in
(or ability to learn) Dentrix Enterprise or other dental practice software
DENTAL ASSISTANT (FT)
Essential Duties: Assists dentist during examination and treatment of patients by performing various duties.
- Skills / Knowledge – Required: Works well in group problem solving situations; Balances team and individual responsibilities; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Works with integrity and ethically; Adapts
to changes in the work environment; Is consistently at work and on time; Follows instructions
- Education / Training - Required: High School Graduate or higher. Computer literate with Proficiency in (or ability to learn) Dentrix Enterprise
or other dental practice management software
- Experience – Preferred: Two years of dental assistant experience.
COMMUNITY ORAL HEALTH OUTREACH SPECIALIST (FT)
Looking for an organized, professional and energetic leader. Responsible for oral health education and outreach promoting our dental services to the community.
Essential Duties: Collaboration with dental providers to improve strategies to reach populations in need; Provide oral health education that are age and culturally appropriate; Provides education on accessing dental services; Liaison with schools and community based organizations; Educates community and professional groups on oral health; Distributes information targeting general public through events, Maintains records of community outreach contacts, Facilitates referrals to other department programs; Prepare weekly activity reports and measure program effectiveness
- Skills / Knowledge – Required: Effective verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrates problem solving skills. Ability to work in a team setting with multi-cultural staff and client population.
- Education / Training – Preferred: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, social work or communications. Computer literate with
Proficiency in (or ability to learn) Dentrix Enterprise or other dental
practice management software
- Experience – Required: One year experience working in community based outreach / education.
AmeriCorps VISTA Community Outreach Assistant (Honolulu)
The Kalihi Valley Instructional Bike Exchange (KVIBE) is currently accepting AmeriCorps VISTA applications for a Community Outreach Assistant to establish and strengthen relationships between KVIBE and Kalihi service providers, educational institutions, religious and community-based organizations in an effort to develop KVIBE's youth mentoring program. Through these collaborative relationships KVIBE will engage Kalihi youth by promoting mental, physical, and social well-being through positive community engagement.
- Assist in the overall organization, promotion, and implementation of the First Annual Kalihi Ahupua'a Fun Ride in January 2017.
- Assist in the development of a peer-mentoring program and curriculum in consultation with KVIBE staff and relevant community partners.
- Identify community-based partners and develop creative outreach strategies for building collaborative relationships and recruiting potential peer mentors.
VISTA VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES will include developing effective marketing materials for assigned events, identifying the desired attributes of successful peer-mentors, recruiting candidates, and assisting in the organization of their training and support, both at KVIBE and in the community. The Community Outreach Assistant will be required to attend and participate in all meetings related to KVIBE and KKV Youth Program coordination.
The successful applicant for this position should demonstrate:
- Positive energy, compassion, and aloha-- be present, welcoming, and nurturing
- A passion for people and a respect for cultural diversity
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to unforeseen circumstances
- A strong work ethic and the ability to work efficiently and effectively with little or no supervision
- Creative problem-solving skills
- A balance of self-reliance and teamwork reflecting an understanding of the collaborative process
- The ability to multitask and manage competing priorities
- A general knowledge of computers, MS Office, and basic office equipment
- An ability to communicate clearly and effectively in person, on the phone, and in writing
- A willingness to understand the historical, cultural, and socio-economic experiences that may influence local motivations, behaviors, and priorities
- A concern for the environment and an understanding of the importance of environmental stewardship
TOBACCO HEALTH EDUCATION ASSISTANT
Kokua Kalihi Valley’s Quit Tobacco Program is seeking a part-time Tobacco Health Education Assistant. Tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plans and conducts outreach events related to the promotion and education of the Quit Tobacco Program
- Assists in developing outreach and education materials for potential and current patients
- Assists in educating the community about the Quit Tobacco Program
- Promotes and recruits patients at community outreach events such as resident association meetings, health fairs and church events
- Assist in data collection and monitoring of the program database
- Assists program coordinator with on-site and off-site events
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters in Public Health preferred
- Working knowledge of computer programs, including but not limited to, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to work directly and collaboratively with diverse persons and programs found in a multi-faceted community
- Effective communication skills (listening, speaking and writing) with proven ability to take and relay detailed and accurate information.
-Community outreach experience preferred
- Bilingual skills preferred
Perinatal Case Manager
Job Summary: Provide medical, outreach and case management services for pregnant women in a community health center
Required: Medical Assistant certificate; Comfortable providing care and education in a medical clinic and conducting home visits in a multi-cultural community. Able to use computer office software.
Preferred: Experience with electronic medical records; Experience providing prenatal and women’s health services; Bilingual; Chuukese-speaking.
Mahalo for your interest in joining our team and sharing your Aloha and Kōkua with Kalihi Valley!